Monday, November 14, 2011

Train Box

Hello! Today I have a box I made for the Try a New Technique challenge over at SCS, ways to wrap a gift. I used images from Life is Good and Follow Your Dreams.

I placed a piece of base weight Pure Luxury White in my Scor-pal, horizontally, and scored at 1 1/2, 5, 6 1/2 and 10 inches.

Rotated the card stock and scored at 1/2, 2, 6 1/2 and 8 inches.

I cut away the parts as shown in the photo above. At the top of the photo is the box top and flap. I cut away the sides of those until I got to the portion of the box that would be the back side and just trimmed the tiny rectangle.

I used my corner rounder on the two sides. You can also see here how I cut slits along the score lines, where the sides will fold up.

I used a Grand Lables 4 die to shape the front flap. I cut small slits along the score line, then fed it through the die.

Made the cut, then sponged Weathered Wood Distress Ink while it was still in the die. I used sticky notes to mask off at the score line, so the ink wouldn't show on the top of the box.

I embossed the lid of the box, using a (regular) Labels 4 die. Next I created a mask from copy paper, by cutting an opening with the same Labels 4 die. I placed the mask over the lid of my box, aligning it with the embossed shape and adhered with re-positionable tape. Then I sponged Weathered Wood Distress Ink.

I used torn sticky notes to mask for the snow banks and sponged Weathered Wood Distress ink again.

Repositioned the masks and sponged again.

Repositioned and sponged yet again.

I inked up the trees, from Follow Your Dreams, with Forest Moss Distress Ink. I stamped off twice before stamping on my scene, so the trees would be lighter.

I moved the masks down to a lower snow bank and stamped again. This time I only stamped off once on scratch paper, so the ink was darker than the trees in the background, but still not full strength.

Here is what the scene looks like with the masks removed.

Here you can see where I place my Scor-tape. Sorry about the blurry photo.

Here you can see the box after I folded up and adhered the side.

Next, I stamped the train, from Life is Good, using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I colored with Copics, starting with N5.

Added N3.

Then filled in with N1.

I wanted a little darker shading, so I added a bit of N7 to the shadows.

Used W3 on the smoke and Y17 on the light.

Then I used E33 on the wood planks of the tracks. After coloring, I cut out the image.

I adhered the train to the box top with Pop Dots and used velcro to hold the flap closed.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a fantastic day!

10 comments:

Patti J said...

What a wonderful creation, Theresa! Thanks for sharing the box, and for your flawless tutorial showing us how to create one! You are amazing, and I appreciate you! Hugs...

lakergirl said...

Just a BEAUTIFUL design! I love all your work but, this is perhaps my most favorite yet Theresa~~~ It looks like a portrait you have painted...just gorgeous!!! Kim

Sheree said...

Theresa... This is gorgeous!! I'm going to try the torn post it notes with my Stampscape stamps to see what I can come up with. That train.. awesome!

Carla S. said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Theresa! Thanks for sharing the details on how you made it!

Lorraine said...

What a cool box and gorgeous coloring as always!

Judy Inukai said...

Great project. Your detailed tutorials are always so helpful and inspirational.

Valerie said...

Love all your cards and your tutorials are much appreciated. Great project!

Micha said...

Une très belle carte encore et toujours. J'aime beaucoup cette composition et la colorisation parfaite du paysage et du train. Bravo et merci pour le tuto. Amitiés.

Jan said...

This is Amazing!!!!!! I used to live in Germany and it just took me back :)

Nana said...

Preciosa y elegante te ha quedado la caja, woowwww, me fascina, esta super hermosa.