Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Birthday Toucan

Hiya! I saw the Teapot Tuesday challenge this week features a parrot teapot, so I just had to play along. I used images from Aloha along with Nina's new Fanciful Tags set for the sentiment. Here is the inspiration photo. I tried to color the toucan the same way as the parrot on the teapot.

I stamped the toucan, from Aloha, and colored with Copics, starting with Y21. I used a blender pen to soften the edge of the coloring.

Filled in the rest of the main body area with YG21 and used a bit of Y17 on the neck for a little deeper shading.

Added YG23.

Added YG25 and just a touch of G28.

Next, I used R08 on the top of the head and wing.

Added R00.

Then I filled in the wing with YG21.

Added YG25 and G28.

Used B24 at the bottom of the wing.

For the tail, I used YG21 and YG25 again.

Then added B21. Oops, looks like I missed a photo. I added B24 to the tail also.

For the beak, I started with R05.

Added R00.

Then N1.

Added N3.

And then N7.

I used E35, E57 and E49 for the branch.

For the oval background, I cut using Nestabilities, then sponged Memento Cantaloupe ink, while the oval was still in the die.

Sponged Memento Angel Pink on the top.

Sponged Memento Bamboo Leaves on the bottom.

I used the palm tree to add some foliage. I used Bamboo Leaves again and just turned the stamp around so that only the palm frond stamped.

I cut another layer using Labels 4 Nestabilities, then sponged and stamped the same way.

I used the Happy Birthday sentiment and  small tag image from Fanciful Tags. They are a snug fit and I was too lazy to use my Stamp-a-ma-jig, so I used the lines on my round acrylic block to made guide lines with pencil on the paper after stamping. You can see my little pencil marks on the image above. A quilter's ruler works great for this, but mine was in the family room and, you guessed it, I was too lazy to go get it.

Then I placed the tag image on my block, carefully centering the image. I lined up the center lines on the block with the pencil marks on my cardstock and got the images lined up pretty well. The small die from the Fancy Tags set by Spellbinders, fits this image perfectly and was easy to line up over the stamped image.

I added a few flowers, from Aloha, and used a Pure Luxury Creme De Menthe  card base.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope your day is fun!

9 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh T, This is gorgeous. Love the greens and beige background with the bright flower and Toucan!! Gorgeous. I have a Birthday coming up LOL!!! :)

Lionelsa said...

More than perfect!!!!

Leonie Castro said...

Toucan do the same...this is gorgeous! Love the bird.

tyfs

hugs,
Leonie

Unknown said...

your cards are simply amazing! Thank you for your inspiration.

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

The toucan is colored to perfection, but I especially love the way you brought in the palm fronds! Thanks for all the sugar you have been sending my way lately. It is sooooo appreciated!

Casmiles said...

Beautiful card, Theresa. I love the little break of white space between the branches - very nice effect.

Ruthie said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I love the colors in this card! your coloring technique is awesome! I have just purchased a few copics and am "learning" how to shade ... thanks for the tutorial!

Marlis said...

Die Karte sieht richtig toll aus !!!
Liebe Grüße Marlis

Kathy Bradley said...

Your cards are so beautiful and I love how you set out the directions. For those of us who are fairly new to copics, this is a tremendous, tremendous help -- so thank you so much.